Next year sees the hundredth anniversary of the start of the Great War, which shattered Europe and much of the wider world from 1914 to 1918.
In commemoration of those who have given their lives for their country and for those who erected and maintain memorials, Cheshire East Council put forward £100,000 to fund repairs and refurbishment of these important local community monuments.
The First World War saw the deaths of an estimated 17 million combatants and civilians with around a further 20 million wounded.
War memorials sprang up in towns and villages across Cheshire East and the whole of Britain and beyond, as a way to commemorate the sacrifice of combatants for their communities and country.
Parish Councils, Community Groups and local Royal British Legion Groups all applied directly to the Council for funding for a variety of cleaning, repair works, adding missing names and re-blacking existing inscriptions..
Please see below for the memorials that have received funding to complete their projects within Cheshire East.
Alpraham Parish Council
Alpraham Parish Council received a grant of £1,000 to relocate the Alpraham war memorial into a new village hall after the current village hall is demolished. See more
Bunbury Parochial Church Council
Bunbury Parochial Church Council received a grant of £2,400 to restore the War Memorial Gates located at St Boniface’s Church. See more
Church Lawton Parochial Church Council
Church Lawton Parochial Church Council received a grant of £1,273 to repair the memorial located in All Saints Church. See more
Congleton Town Council/Town Partnership
Congleton Town Council and Town Partnership received a grant of £4,219 to restore the Lawton Street cenotaph. This is part of a much larger project of also creating a community garden. See more
Gawsworth Parish Council
Gawsworth Parish Council received a grant of £1,200 to restore the calvary memorial located on the corner of Church Lane and Woodhouse Lane. See more
Knutsford Town Council
Knutsford Town Council received a grant of £8,000 to relocate the memorial statue currently situated at the Cottage Hospital, to a town centre location. See more
Mottram St Andrew Parish Council
Mottram St Andrew Parish Council received a grant of £510 to clean and restore their memorial parchment situated in the village chapel. See more
St Mary of The Immaculate Conception
St Mary’s Church, Crewe received a grant of £1,250 to clean and restore the limestone memorial plaque located within the church. See more
The Royal British Legion – Crewe Branch
Crewe Royal British Legion received a grant of £500 to clean a stone plaque that has been donated for display by the Royal British Legion for the WW1 Commemoration.
Wynbunbury Tower Preservation Trust
Wynbunbury Tower Preservation Trust received a grant of £2,440 to replace the rotten wood on the lych-gate located at the entrance to Wynbunbury Tower. See more